Going for brunch is one of my favourite Sunday activities and since I moved back to Portugal I’ve happily made it my goal to try and find the best around where I live. If you’re in Lisbon but want to take a small trip to coastal town Cascais, then you should definitely try one of these fabulous brunches. If you’re staying in Cascais or close by, lucky you!
Inside the beautiful Cascais Miragem hotel and by the pool is where you’ll find Oasis Restaurant and the divine brunch they serve on Sundays. There’s a selection of food for all tastes, seafood, vegetarian cuisine, soup in small shot glasses, appetisers inspired by world cuisine, a cheese and charcuterie section. And, there’s even an area with mains which you can select from the hot bar. And if you didn’t think this was mouthwatering enough, there’s a dessert section which was for me the highlight of this brunch. For those warm summer days don’t forget to ask for a table outside.
Drinks Included: Sparkling wine, juices, coffee, tea and water
Price: €29 | Children up to 12 have a 50% discount
Schedule: Sundays from 12.30pm to 3pm | Bookings: +351 21 006 0600 | Address: Av. Marginal 8554, 2754-536 Cascais
This is one of the best-known brunches in Cascais. You’ll have to take a taxi or perhaps even get a bike to get to this hotel since it’s a bit far from the centre but it will be worth it. You’ll find lots of variety on this brunch, I mean, lots and lots of things to try. Portuguese bakery, cheese tables, appetisers, small dishes with different delicacies and also a sushi bar and a pasta and risotto section with a live show cooking station with a chef who will cook specifically for you. Make you sure you arrive on an empty stomach when you get to the beautiful Grande Real Villa Itália Hotel.
Drinks Included: Water, juices are free. You’ll also get a welcome glass of sangria.
Price: €28, free up to 4 years old,€12.50 for children from 5 to 11 years old.
Schedule: Saturdays and Sundays from 12.30pm to 4pm.
Telephone: +351 213 199 150 | Email: email@example.com | Address: R. Frei Nicolau de Oliveira 100, 2750 Cascais
An amazing sea view is the first thing that you’ll savour as soon as you get to the wonderful brunch this 5-star hotel prepares for you every Sunday. On the tables, you will find a wide range of cold salads, meat dishes, several fish specialities, sushi and fresh tartar, sausages and cold meats, traditional Portuguese fried food, vegetarian cuisine, desserts and also a live cooking station.
Drinks: Selected drinks, welcome cocktail.
Price: €29 per person, children from 4 to 12 have a 50% reduction.
Schedule: Sundays from 12.30pm to 3.30pm
Telephone: +351 218 291 100 or +351 931 125 339 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Address: Avenida Marginal, 8023, 2765-249, Estoril
Red or white wine, whichever you prefer will be served throughout the brunch. Convinced? If you this didn’t win you over then imagine this. You sitting in front of the best panoramic view of the Atlantic ocean in the Albatroz trying one of the best brunches of Cascais. The incredible view will make food degustation even more exciting. I loved everything about this brunch, the lovely salads, there was so much variety and they were all so different. The delicious entrees, quiches, the different meat and fish courses, the desserts, oh I almost forgot, the overflowing glasses of red.
Drinks: Wine plus a selection of other drinks included.
Schedule: Every Sunday, between 12h00 and 16h00.
Telephone:+351 214 847 380 Address: Rua Frederico Arouca 100, 2750-353 Cascais
This brunch has been called the king of brunch. It all starts with the location, it’s inside the Sheraton Cascais Resort, located in the very exclusive and secluded Quinta da Marinha. Then it’s the food, absolutely divine and finally the party/picnic vibe. In the summer you can use the hotel’s swimming pool for free plus there’s a DJ and a kids club. Brunch will be served inside the Glass Terrace restaurant but also in the lush gardens of the hotel, right by the pool. Waffles, brownies, crepes, eggs, croissants, hash browns, world cuisine, barbeque with a selection of meats that go from picanha to chicken, rosbif, turkey sausages and also fish. For children, there’s a hot dog buffet, mini-pizzas, burgers and a variety of sweets, like gummy bears, an ice cream cart and even a popcorn machine.
Schedule: Every Sunday from 12:00 to 4:00 PM
– Kids Club from 12:30 to 4:00 PM, for children ages 4 to 12
Price: €35 per person, 17,5€ for children up to 12 and free for children under 5.
Telephone: 351 910 351 109 | Email: email@example.com | Address: Rua das Palmeiras, 5, Cascais
Are there any other brunches I should know about? Did I miss any of your favourite places for brunch? Let me know in the comment box!
The Street Food Festival in Estoril starts today and goes until the 1st of May. From 12 pm to 18 pm in the Casino do Estoril garden discover world cuisine such as Colombian, Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, English and much more in the different food trucks that will be parked here for the event. There will be also show cooking classes and tastings, music and there’s even a special space dedicated to children.
If you want to know more, you can check their Facebook page, unfortunately, it’s only in Portuguese.
The good thing about Portugal is that you can have luxury experiences without having to pay extortionate amounts of money for them. If you’re traveling to Lisbon but still enjoy the perks of a beach holiday, perhaps you should consider staying in glamorous Cascais instead. This lovely town is only a 30-minute drive or 50-minute train ride from central Lisbon, and with as little as $80/£64 you could stay at a fabulous 5-star hotel by the beach. Here are my top 5 picks of luxury 5-star hotels in Cascais.
As a 5-star hotel, we wouldn’t expect less than an extremely attentive staff, beautiful rooms, comfortable beds and food so delicious you will always want to return for more. But this is not all you get at this hotel. At the Albatroz Hotel, you get to taste the breakfast while enjoying the stupendous panoramic views of the Atlantic Ocean.
Each of the 51 rooms has a different decoration. Also, it’s a pet-friendly hotel. And as if it could get any better, this hotel’s location is the best if you don’t want to rely on public transport. Here you’ll be in the center of the town, next to the beach and all the lovely restaurants and bakeries in Cascais. Plus, you’ll be close to Lisbon which means you can have the best of both worlds.
Prices starting at: $167 | £134 per night
Address: Rua Frederico Arouca 100, 2750 353 Cascais, Portugal
This is not just a hotel but a resort, well, it says it in the name. The Sheraton Cascais Resort is an award winning luxury 5-star hotel with plenty of amenities for all types of tourists. It’s perfect for families who want to be in a nice location without having to worry about the kids: there’s a kids club (seasonal) and, they can also splash in the swimming pool or run around in the massive garden.
It’s nice for couples who want to be in a tranquil place surrounded by luxurious gardens while lounging on the pool sunbeds. Couples who want to be active and perhaps surf on the beach very close to the hotel or even for those who just want to enjoy the amazing spa while still being able to get to the main city in 10 min. And it’s perfect for business trips, with it’s amazing golf course, you can have a few swings in between meetings. Oh, and did I mention the food?
Prices starting at: $101 | £81 per night
Address: near 505A, R. das Palmeiras 5, 2750 Cascais
Prices starting at: $139 | £110 per night
Address: Av. Marginal 8554, 2754-536 Cascais
Prices starting at: $100 | £81 per night
Address: Av. Rei Humberto II de Italia 7, 2750-800 Cascais
Very close to Lisbon there’s a charming little fishing village with beautiful beaches where time seems to have stood still. If you’re looking for the quintessential Portuguese beach experience, Cascais is the place to go. With its stone cobbled streets, palm trees, and relaxed atmosphere, Cascais is the region’s favorite beach destination. From sitting on the street cafe tables, reading your newspaper and eating pastries, to walking along the beach admiring the peaceful balancing of the fishermen boats docked in the ocean, Cascais will surely be an unforgettable holiday destination.
Here my 5 most relaxing top things to do in Cascais:
1. Have a stroll along the “paredão”, a promenade that stretches along the beach, going from Cascais to São João do Estoril (another small beach town). It’s a 3-kilometer walk but, don’t worry, if you get tired you can stop at one of the many restaurants, cafes and ice cream stalls you’ll find along the way.
2. If you’re looking for a more relaxed activity, try choosing one of the many flavours available at Santini, an ice-cream shop, right in the middle of Cascais. Born by the hands of an Italian immigrant, the original recipe of this divine ice-cream is still a secret and it’s 100% natural, with no additives whatsoever. No wonder this gelato has been making people queue since 1949.
Location: Av. Valbom 28F, 2750-508 Cascais
3. Burn off all those calories you’ve accumulated so far while enjoying the tasty Portuguese cuisine with a bit of sport. If you’re into watersports, or if you want to try it for the first time and you want to do something a bit more easy and relaxing, try paddle boarding. The good thing about this sport is that, if you’re like me and you tend to feel cold all the time, this is a great way to exercise in the water but without being submerged. You can even try it in the winter, provided you do your best not to fall off the board. And this is just one of the many outdoor sports you can try to do while visiting Cascais: surfing, diving, canoeing, sailing are some of the activities available…
Contact: +351 933 258 114
4. Put your helmet on and enjoy a scooter ride through the most scenic parts of Cascais and discover the UNESCO World Heritage area. You can either follow a guide or opt for or just follow your own personalized scenic route prepared for you by the Smoother Rent a Scooter team.
Address: Marina de Cascais, Loja 29 A, Cascais 2750-800, Portugal
5. If you like James Bond and want to know where the inspiration for Casino Royalle came from, then you should definitely visit the Casino Estoril. Although not in Cascais, the Casino Estoril is located a short train, bike or even walk (around 30 minutes walking), away in the charming Estoril town. Try your luck with the many slots at the casino or, if you’re not that much into gambling, you can always watch one of the free shows they have going throughout the week at the casino’s restaurant and bar.
Address: Av. Dr. Stlanley Ho, 2765-190 Estoril
Open from: 3pm to 3am